Last minute guests happen. Here are the five things you need to keep on hand to be the hostess with the mostess:
This one is fairly obvious. Having a bottle of wine on deck is great for multiple reasons:
- Last minute gift
- Serve to guests (with or without serving dinner)
- Sauces (make a red wine reduction for red meats)
- Have a glass after your guests leave
Alright – I love cake, but did you know that you can do a million things with cake? It’s perfect for last minute guests, and here’s why:
- Make a cake
- No frosting – no problem: make cookies
- Use the dry mix to coat chicken for fried chicken
- If you have chocolate mix, rub onto beef to a little extra
You can whip up a great meal with pasta – and do a lot with it.
- Mac and cheese
Olives – or something similar, can help you build a great charcuterie board. Add cheese, nuts, and meat (lunch meat works) and serve to guests.
You can also add into a salad or add into cocktails.
Dijon is a lot of cake mix – you can do so much with it. We always have Dijon in the house.
- Add to your charcuterie board
- Make into a vinegarette
- Mix with honey or maple syrup and brush on chicken
- Add into yellow cake mix, with carrots, to make a delicious and complex carrot cake
- Make a delicious sauce for your pasta
- Make yourself a sandwich once your guests leave
What are some of your favorite essentials?
xo love kim